As we wrap up the year and our inaugural 5th Star Expo [LINK: http://jonnystax.com/5th-star-expo/], I am filled with gratitude. This has been such an exciting year, season, and project. Instead of trying to put a pretty bow on it all, I just want to express five things for which I am grateful. Trust me, the list could go on and on.
- Creativity and experimentation. Through this expo, my assumption was confirmed: Chicago is thriving with creativity and experimentation. There are so many creators out there who are creating works that have important impact and real-life relevancy. I look forward to getting this laboratory off the ground to support and celebrate these creators.
- Dedication and brilliance. I have been blessed this year to be surrounded with staff, crews, casts, clients and collaborators who are dedicated to their crafts and approach their work in brilliant new ways. I have been a lucky man.
- Adventurous audiences. Great works and creations sit in silence without audiences that are willing to step out and experience something about which they may be unsure. Chicago is filled with these urban adventurers, and we are a better city for this.
- Giving. It is easy in hard times to hoard one’s resources for free of not having enough to care for oneself. This has not been the case among many in this city and country. People continue to give of their money, time, and goods, and this helps us move forward. May this spirit continue in the new year.
- Family and friends. I have a solid cloud of witnesses that surrounds me and lifts me up. They make me believe that I can do anything and help me when I attempt the impossible. They forgive me when I get too obsessed with work and don’t make time for them. They celebrate my successes and pick me up when I fall flat on my face.
I have come to believe that beginning and ending any venture or season with gratitude helps me focus on what I have instead of what I lack. That perspective of plentitude instead of scarcity is good for the head, good for the heart, and good for the soul.
So, thank you and have a lovely holiday season. Get lots of rest, because we have great things to accomplish and experience together in the new year.